- A graduate of the University of Melbourne, he has Honours and Master’s degrees in Psychology, the Graduate Diploma in Mental Health Sciences (Clinical Hypnosis), and a PhD in the Departments of Psychiatry and Psychology. His PhD citation reads, in part, ”completed a study of compulsive hoarding, an under-reported, poorly understood and largely untreated clinical problem. His study highlighted its cognitive, behavioural and emotional underpinnings. His findings will improve the assessment, diagnosis and treatment of this debilitating disorder".
- Dr Mogan specializes in Anxiety and related disorders including Panic and Worry, Social Anxiety Disorder, Phobias and avoidance, Post Traumatic Distress Disorder (PTSD), Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and Hoarding Disorder.
- Many presentations of anxiety are complex, and the cognitive and behavioural principles play an important complementary role to other medical and psychological interventions. Clinical Psychology provides strategic interventions personalized for the particular context or stage of treatment.
- Hoarding Disorder is a newly emerging clinical phenomenon that Dr Mogan has expertise as he has completed the first major study of this condition in Australia. Dr Mogan is part of a research group associated with various Australian Universities including ANU, Deakin University, ACU, Swinburne and University of Melbourne in research and training in Hoarding Disorder. In 2011, he was appointed by the American Psychiatric Association to participate as a Field Trial Clinician for the DSM5.
- In 2012 Dr Mogan established an Intensive Outpatient Program (XRP) that offers state-of-the-art therapy for complex presentations of OCD, Anxiety, Hoarding and related disorders.
- Dr Mogan is registered with the Australian Health Practitioner Agency under the Psychology Board of Australia.
- He is a member of the College of Clinical Psychology in the Australian Psychological Society, and is endorsed by the Psychology Board of Australia to provide Clinical Psychology and other psychological services with Medicare Australia.
- Dr Mogan is a member of professional associations including the Australian Association for Cognitive and Behavioural Therapy (AACBT), the Association of Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies (ABCT - USA), and the International Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Foundation (IOCDF).
Dr Mogan was the Coordinator of the Eltham Community Health and Welfare Centre that offered psychological services across the community from 1976 - 1987.
He was appointed Clinical Director the Anxiety Depression (CBT) Program at The Melbourne Clinic in 1987 and over a twenty-year period, he developed specialized CBT treatments in this acute inpatient psychiatric hospital. The overarching philosophy was the development of adaptive learning strategies in group and individual therapy. In the 1990’s, Dr Mogan established Day Programs at The Melbourne Clinic providing treatment for the Anxiety Disorders including CBT, Relaxation Training, Exposure and Response Prevention, Mindfulness and other contemporary strategies. In 2005, Dr Mogan and Consultant Psychiatrist Dr Scott Blair-West founded the inpatient group treatment program for patients with severe OCD that was modelled on successful USA programs at Boston, Houston and St Louis. This program continues to be Australia’s only group inpatient CBT treatment for OCD.
Other key staff
The therapy team also consists of psychologists Dr Elham Foroughi, Julie Mogan and Credentialed Mental Health Nurse Kerryn Addison.